Genealogy Research & Files
Updates & Items of Interest:
- Updates - The latest website updates & additions
- News - Recent news & items of interest
- Book Reviews and Awards
- Mystery Painting - Please help me to identify the artist of this WW2-era painting from Summerside, PEI
- PEI Highlanders on the S.S. Caribou
My Surname Interests:
- My Surnames - My main surname interests
- My Brick Walls - Some of my more troublesome individuals/families
- Gabriel Gallant & Mildred Arsenault - The Ancestors of Gabriel Gallant of Mont-Carmel & Summerside, PEI
- Chrysostom McLellan & Annie Mahan - The Family of Chrysostom McLellan and Annie Mahan of NB
- Daniel Rogers & Olivia Chappell - The Family and Descendants of Daniel Rogers and Olivia Chappell of PEI and NB
- James Smith & Catherine Hickey - The Family and Descendants of James Smith and Catherine Hickey of Ireland and PEI
Prince Edward Island:
- Alberton Church Records - Index to the baptism, marriage, and burial records from Sacred Heart RC Church, Alberton, PEI, 1879-1901
- Miscouche Baptism Records - Assorted baptism records from St. Jean-Baptiste RC Church, Miscouche, PEI, 1836-1887
- Wellington Marriage Index - Index of marriage records, Immaculate Conception RC Church, Wellington, PEI, 1883-1956
- St. Joseph's RC, Black Point, NB - Selected baptism records (Hickey and Rogers) from a Restigouche County, NB, church, 1867-1874
- Ste. Thérèse d'Avila RC, Cap-Pelé, NB - Selected records from this South-Eastern NB parish. Includes some PEI names
- St. Bartholomew's RC, Melrose, NB - Selected records from this South-Eastern NB parish. Includes some PEI names
The following headstone surveys were performed by me. For the most part, the individuals named within were either known to be connected to, or had names or surnames believed to be associated with, my personal research.
Prince Edward Island:
Complete transcripts for the following PEI cemeteries are available for sale through the Prince Edward Island Genealogical Society.
- St. Patrick's RC Cemetery, Grand River, PEI - A partial headstone survey.
- St. Mary's RC Cemetery, Indian River, PEI - partial headstone survey.
- St. Jean-Baptiste RC Cemetery, Miscouche, PEI - A partial headstone survey.
- St. John's Anglican Cemetery, St. Eleanor's, PEI - A partial headstone survey.
- St. Mary's Anglican Cemetery, Harrigan Cove, NS - A complete headstone survey performed on 21 August 2012.
- Greenwood Cemetery, Shediac, NB - A partial headstone survey for the surname Wallace (some connections to George Gued Wallace and Euphemia MacLellan of PEI). Includes NB Census listings for the family of Henry Wallace, son of George and Euphemia
The following files are extracts only and do not contain all of the information found in the original census documents. Also, I have only extracted data on families that are connected to, or believed to be connected to, my own research. Please refer to the original records for further information on these and other families listed in each particular census.
Please note that the Prince Edward Island Genealogical Society has completed transcripts of all extant PEI census records for the years 1881, 1891, and 1901. These are available for purchase, by Lot, in printed and electronic (dBase) formats. Also, the Prince Edward Island Archives have online indices for the 1841, 1881, 1891, and 1901 PEI census enumerations. These are wonderful finding aids. For the 1841 census only, the online version contains complete transcripts of the extant records.
1890 Roman Catholic Census of PEI:
- Miscouche - The parish of St. Jean-Baptiste
- Mont Carmel - The parish of Notre Dame de Mont Carmel
- Rustico - The parish of St. Augustin's
- Summerside - The parish of St. Paul's
- Tignish - The parish of St. Simon & St. Jude
- 1871 NS Census, Necum Teuch Polling District, Halifax Cty
- 1881 NS Census, Necum Teuch Polling District, Halifax Cty
- 1881 NS Census, Salmon River Polling District, Halifax Cty
- 1891 NS Census, Smith's Cove Sub-District, Halifax Cty
- 1901 NS Census, Smith's Cove Polling District, Halifax Cty
- Bits-n-Bites - Various single listings
- Royal Gazette, and Miscellany of the Island of Saint John: 1791-1794
- October 1890 PEI Church Magazine (Anglican)
- L'Impartial, 1893-1915 - Assorted extracts (written in French)
- Island Farmer, Summerside, PEI, 20 October 1942
- Journal-Pioneer, Summerside, PEI, 16 April 1977
- The Guardian, Charlottetown, PEI, 21 July 1969
- The Guardian, Charlottetown, PEI, 18 December 1976
- Chronicle-Herald, Halifax, NS, 21 July 1969
Prince Edward Island:
Prince Edward Island:
- Cherry Valley-Vernon River Petition to Lt. Gov. Fanning, 1791
- Hillsborough River, Bedford Bay, Savage Harbour, and Saint Peters Petition to Lt. Gov. Fanning, 1791
- Prince Town Petition to Lt. Gov. Fanning, 1791
- Letter from Bishop MacEachern, 19 March 1828
- Letter from Bishop MacEachern, 19 February 1829
- Prince Edward Island Contingent, 1899 - List of volunteers for service during the Boer War
- Class List, Kensington High School - List of Grade 10 Students at Kensington High School, 1927-28
- PEI Highlanders Slate of Officers - Slate of officers on strength for the Prince Edward Island Highlanders, 1943
- PEI Records at the CEA - A list of PEI resources available at the Centre d'études acadiennes, Moncton, NB
- New Brunswick County and Parish Maps - A small number of maps showing the modern county and parish borders
- Genealogical Standards & Guidelines - By the National Genealogical Society
- Acadian resources at the Moncton Public Library - Acadian-related holdings of the Moncton Public Library and the Southeastern Branch, NB Genealogical Society (stored at the Moncton Public Library's Heritage Room)
Catholic Marriage Dispensations
- Consanguinity & Affinity - The concepts of consanguinity and affinity in Roman Catholic marriage records
- Consanguinity Worksheet - An aid for calculating degrees of consanguinity and/or using consanguinity to trace common ancestors
- Age of Majority - The concept of age of majority in Roman Catholic marriage records
- Marriage Dispensations - Some notes on marriage dispensations in Roman Catholic marriage records
- Consanguinity in PEI Settlements, 1800 - A letter from Father Angus MacEachern to the Monsignor de Canath, discussing the extent of, and reasons behind, the intermarriages of Scottish and Acadian families on PEI
- A Request to Marry, 1817 - An interesting letter from Father Angus MacEachern to Bishop Plessis of Québec, seeking permission for a couple to marry. This file may be of interest to those researching MacDonald from Glenaladale (Tracadie) and West River